Thursday 2 January 2014

Lucky nr 14 Reading Challenge 2014

Astrid on Books to Share is doing a slightly bigger reading challenge, with categories that should actually force me outside of my comfort zone occasionally.

The challenge will require me to read 14 books (or more) from the 14 categories below. I can combine the books I read with other challenges, but cannot use the same book for different categories in this challenge.

Participants are encouraged to try to match the categories from their TBR piles, although if you don't have any suitable books in your TBR list, and want to find an excuse to buy one for this challenge, that's fine too. A woman after my own heart.

The 14 categories:
1. Visit the country: Read a book that has a setting in a country that you really want to visit in real life. Make sure the setting has a big role in the book and it can make you know a little bit more about your dream destination.
2. Cover lust: Pick a book from your shelf that you bought because you fell in love with the cover. Is the content as good as the cover?
3. Blame it On Bloggers: Read a book because you've read the sparkling reviews from other bloggers. Don't forget to mention the bloggers' names too!
4. Bargain All the Way: Ever buy a book because it's so cheap you don't really care about the content? Now it's time to open the book and find out if it's really worth your cents.
5. (Not So) Fresh From the Oven: Do you remember you bought/was given a newly released book last year but never had a chance to read it? Dig it from your pile and bring back the 2013.
6. First Letter's Rule: Read a book where the title begins with the same letter as your name (so M for Malin, in my case). Articles like "a", "an" or "the" don't count.
7. Once Upon a Time: Choose a book first published before the year you were born. Doesn't have to be a classic book, something only a bit older than you is ok. You can read the most recent edition if you like.
8. Chunky Brick: Take a deep breath, and read a book that has more than 500 pages. Yep, the one that you've always been afraid of! (In my case, this is not going to be hard. So many fantasy tomes waiting for me)
9. Favourite Author: You like their books, but there are too many titles. This is your chance, choose a book that's been written by your favourite author, but you haven't gotten round to reading it before.
10. It's Been There Forever: Pick up a book that's been there on your shelf for more than a year, clean up the dust and start to read it now.
11. Movies vs Books: You've seen the movie adaptation (or planned to see it soon) but never had time to read the book. It's time to read the book, so you can compare the book vs the movie.
12. Freebies Time: What's the LAST free book you got? Whether it's from a giveaway, a birthday gift or a surprise from someone special, don't hold back any longer. Open the book and start reading now.
13. Not My Cup of Tea: Reach out to a genre that you've never tried (or probably just disliked) before. Whether it's romance, horror or non fiction, maybe you'll find a hidden gem.
14. Walking Down the Memory Lane: Ever had a book that you loved so much as a kid? Or a book that you wish you could read when you were just a kid? Grab it now and prepare for a wonderful journey to the past. Comic books or graphic novels are allowed!

3 comments:

  1. And you said I signed up for a lot of them! Although, I did find one more I'm going to do involving British history. There's even a reading challenge challenge - I know Bev at My Rader's Block signed up for it, it should be listed with all her other challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you still have more than me, and I blame you for finding as many as I did. Luckily, so many of these overlap, and some of them aren't all that big (I don't consider anything where I have to commit to less than 10 books big). I think it's going to be fun. And I can spend HOURS procrastinating, making and cross-referencing lists to figure out what to read. I'm currently trying to find interesting looking books starting with Q, X and Z instead of doing correction work.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for choosing Lucky No 14 :) I hope you will have a great time, Malin :)

    ReplyDelete