Tuesday 1 July 2014

#CBR6 Book 65: "I Don't Know What You Know Me From: Confessions of a Co-Star" by Judy Greer

Page count: 256 pages
Rating: 3 stars

As a fan of romantic comedies, in many of which she has played a supporting character, not to mention my love of Arrested Development and Archer, I know exactly what I know Judy Greer from. I did have to look up her complete filmography on Wikipedia, though (not IMDB, no matter how many times they get shout-outs in Greer's book) and was surprised at how prolific she really is. I'm not at all surprised that she's been comfortably working since she finished college, she's delightful in a whole load of things.

In this book, separated into three sections: Early Life, Hollywood Life and Real Life, Judy Greer tells us about herself in a series of essays. We find out about her childhood, her school days, her family, the bright pink car her parents gave her when she graduated. She tells entertaining stories about going to the wrong bar during the Oscars and being panicked because she doesn't recognise anyone, choosing her acting name, being a bearded lady on My Name is Earl, the time Ashton Kutcher bought her dad a Harley. She explains how she met her husband and how she experiences being a step-mother, balancing work life and home life. I found the book entertaining and I came away with it liking Judy Greer even more, but this book wasn't really laugh out loud funny in the same way Bossypants by Tina Fey or Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling. As biographies go, for belly laughs or generally making me feel the feels, nothing beats Jenny Lawson, of course.

Still, this was a fun book and I do like how down to Earth Judy Greer seems to be. I doubt people portray themselves as horrible people in their own autobiographies, though, but I choose to trust that Judy Greer is a nice person, who I'd probably like to hang out with. She could tell me more about all the celebrities she's peed next to, or which words she's successfully managed to slip into her answers at press junkets, or tell me what she really feels about Cheryl Tunt on Archer and whether she'd like to own an Ocelot in real life. I wouldn't even ask her about what she thinks the chances of more Arrested Development are, because I can understand how annoying that might be for an actor.

Crossposted on Cannonball Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment